Thursday, January 17, 2013

Encaustic Mono Prints

Just before Christmas, I got addicted starting learning how to do a mono printing process with encaustics. Here is a peek at the latest prints. I am doing as many as possible in preparation for Artwalk.   The reason I started looking into doing these, was because I wanted to offer an affordable print alternative to prospective buyers. Encaustics are expensive, and a large investment for most folks, and I've noticed that many artists offer limited edition prints, but... if I think about it,  I would personally much rather have an original piece than a digital print if possible, so I started experimenting with this process as a way to do that. I have been using all sorts of handmade papers to try and hit on the one I like the best but it's tricky, and so far the best is a japanese rice paper traditionally used for painting with ink.  Here's a step by step photo guide of what the mono print process involves:


 An anodized aluminum plate is placed on the heated palette and the
painting is done straight onto the plate.

 
 A sheet of paper is cut to size and carefully placed over the heated wax paints
and the paint is pressed into the paper.


 Voila! Beautiful, frameable, encaustic paintings on paper!








No comments:

Post a Comment