Monday, May 16, 2011

Sunny Day

The Proud Sunflower
12 x 16
Encaustic on Panel

Finally this weekend we had a lovely bit of sun and warm temps around here. The volunteer sunflowers started popping up everywhere, thick as thieves. My favorite thing about the garden is watching those teensy little sprouts grow into proud and graceful giants.

This piece took me a few weeks to work out. There are no oil washes in this one, just layer after layer of fused encaustic paint, which gives it a cool, rustic look I think. I'm debating as to whether I want to give it a final oil stain to deepen it up even more, but I haven't decided if it needs it yet...  Some paintings are just done when they're done. Others require lots of sitting in my favorite chair with a steaming mug of peppermint tea (to get the little grey cells going) and staring staring staring... it can go on for days...

No comments:

Post a Comment